Search This Blog

Monday, January 1, 2001

BURGER KING : Pokemon ball toy recall

In 1999, Burger King recalled toy Pokemon balls after a 13-month-old California girl suffocated on the toy and a 4-month-old Indianapolis boy died when the ball-shaped container lodged over his mouth and nose. Another 18-month-old girl reportedly also had a ball-half stuck over her face, causing her distress. However, the girl's father (on the second attempt) pulled the ball-half from her face.

The balls may pose a suffocation hazard to children under three years of age. Pokemon balls are the ball-shaped plastic containers that hold Pokemon toys in Burger King kids meals. Either half of the Pokemon ball can become stuck on a child's face, covering the nose and mouth and may cause suffocation of a child under three years of age.

The Pokemon balls are plastic ball-shaped containers between 2 ¾" and 3" in diameter. They pull apart to reveal one of 57 different Pokemon toys inside. The balls were distributed in a variety of colors including red and white, and hot pink. Packaging described them as safety tested and recommended for all ages of children.

Burger King restaurants nationwide distributed the Pokemon balls inside Burger King Kids Club Meals and regular kids meals from early November through December, 1999.

No comments: